Saturday, January 8, 2011

And the Stress Begins!

I knew it would be difficult, but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Where to start? Well, the Spanish wedding is making progress. We have:

1. A venue: La Estancia Club de Golf Chiclana de la Frontera, Cadiz, Spain
So it isn't the most gorgeous, manicured golf club in the world, but it's quite pretty and intimate. We will have the ceremony on the lawn, followed by a cocktail hour, a buffet dinner, and 4 hours of open bar.

2. The Decor: They're going to decorate the event in a "chill-out" theme (sounds terrible in English but it's not!) That means that there will be a variety of tables, including cocktail tables and sofas, instead of the typical 8' rounds. They will have white table clothes and colorful pillows on the sofas. There will also be a lot of candles and lanterns. I think it'll be modern and romantic. We didn't want a formal sit-down dinner because we have so many young guests.

3. The menu: I won't give it all away here, but basically we will start will 5 different passed hors d'oeuvre during the cocktail hour. Then, the buffet will be another variety of appetizers, a risotto dish, a pork dish, and a grill station with meat skewers and grilled vegetables. After dinner there will be a four hour open bar and after about 2 hours we'll have a "snack" of mini-sandwiches. We are also considering a "Churros and Chocolate" stand around 3:00 am (open bar goes until 4:00 or 5:00!!!)

4. The DJ: His name is Diego, he has years of experience and works for the radio... he was also the 1st recommendation from the catering company. He doesn't have specific hours and doesn't even want a deposit! And he charges only 400€! Too good to be true? I guess we'll have to see!!!

5. The photographer: JAGStudio from Sevilla. This place is right next to my apartment here in Seville and it's really the only place I've looked. The package includes a 30 page digital photo book, 2 parent's books, a really cool DVD, and possibly the rights to the pictures too. For the price of 1730€ I thought it was a pretty good deal. The books are a bit modern in style, but I can always decide to print the pictures I like as extras to frame, etc.

6. Invitations: They are almost done... I have a simple design for the US ones that I'll print out at a nice paper shop and send over Easter break (when I'm in the US). I just need to know the details of the wedding to be able to finish them! The Spanish ones are being designed now, I don't love them... but I refuse to stress out over invitations too!!! I just want them done and sent :)

Now we just need my dress, his tux, hotel rooms for the wedding night, the bus that will bring people to and from the wedding (so no one drinks and drives), my bouquet, the favors (which I am stuck on), Ale's wedding ring (I'm going to use my engagement ring because it looks like a wedding ring and I really like it), and if we can afford it... live music for the ceremony. It seems like a lot still... but at least we have some progress made!

The American wedding is another story. I have no idea what to do. Things are too expensive. We're working with a $10,000 budget and the average cost of the wedding in Massachusetts is like, $26,000! I wanted to have in the yard, but that entails a lot of work for my family... and I'm not sure they have the time. I, on the other hand, will be home for over a month before the wedding with nothing to do! I CAN DO IT!!! I really want to plan the catering, the alcohol, etc. and try to make it a true budget wedding with lots of personal touches. I have faith in myself, but I also don't want to stress my family out too much. Too bad I don't have a house and yard of my own...

I've basically scratched the idea of a full dinner for the American wedding. It would be impossible to do myself, and catering is $$$$$$$$$$. Unbelievably so. I'm now thinking... Tapas and Dessert! I really like the idea, as it also plays on the fact that Ale is Spanish and we live in Spain! The favors for the US are also "Spanishy": Spanish fans for the women and Spanish olive oil/vinegar for the men with a recipe attached. It's my latest of many ideas. I also am not sure about hiring a DJ... the guests are mostly older, and I'm thinking that good speakers and a well equipped IPOD could work for music... people have done it before, there's even an app for weddings! We'll have to see... Considering at the Spanish wedding we'll be dancing until 6:00 am I don't think I'll feel bad about it...

Well, that's all for now. If you are reading this please HELP ME with ideas for the American wedding! Thanks!!!

4 comments:

  1. hey lauren! that all sounds so exciting! also, my cousin did a backyard wedding at her catskills cabin, and they ditched the DJ for an ipod. however, i'm not sure how much money they saved, as they went all out with the decorations and food. however, if you want, i can put you in touch with her and she may be able to give you some ideas. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds great! I checked out the golf course online and it looks very pretty. The clubhouse patio looks very nice - is this where things will take place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren! I would LOVE to help with the American stuff. So just let me know if there is anything I could do! You seem stressed and no te preocupes nina! Everything will be fabulous!

    I like the "chill out" theme, I think it sounds cool!

    As for the food at the American wedding, what about meat and cheese platters and dinner rolls? you could put them on nice platters and who doesn't like sammies? A nice pasta and fruit salad?? I feel like im thinking along the lines of costco platters because they are awesome and cheap! Obviously you could have more things too but, how many ppl will be there again? I feel like just doing something like this could be great and cheap and you can make anything look nice, it's all about presentation! Just don't plan on homemaking all/a lot of it because that would be SO stressful! Tapas would be great too just more work and might end up being more expensive than you think. What tapa ideas were u thinking of?

    You could also have people walking around with appetizer platters and that would make it fancy! I would love to do that!

    Also, as for music... did you not know that I have an incredible voice??? I can sing Flamenco, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey... Whatever your little heart desires lol

    The Spanish wedding sounds absolutely phenomenal! Especially the late night treats :) ha ha you knew that was coming didn't you?

    Let me know if you need any help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I think the golf course looks great!

    ReplyDelete